My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

I don't really know what to say about the services. "They were nice," really isn't something I think can be said about such services. So I guess I'll say they were respectful. I can't say that I've never lost anyone close to me, but I've never been to a funeral so I never really knew what was going on. For me the visitation was the most difficult. It was open casket and that alone would have been uncomfortable, but I think more so because when I walked up it didn't look him at all. But I think the most difficult part was to see how much everyone was hurting. I still can't quite believe it. I think maybe it is because I never knew him well, and for the last several years the only news I heard about him was through Jenn, so to me, the fact that he's not here isn't much difference than it was before. But when talk of the future comes up, that's when it sort of hits. The worst part for me was when it occurred to Jenn, perhaps for the first time since finding out, that she was waiting to have her wedding ceremony for him to come home. It was important to her for them to all celebrate together. I didn't know what to tell her. What would be the right thing to say. I told her he'd be there. And she said she knew. But I still don't know what the right thing to say would be. I feel like I've spent nearly a lifetime already trying to not say the wrong thing. And I doubt I succeeded, but I just don't know. After the visitation everyone went back to Jenn's house (well, her parent's really, but I'll always think of it as her house). They toasted his life several times and had a generally good time. I only did shots for 2 of the toasts because I knew I was going to have to drive home, and this isn't the time to tempt fate. A girl I had never met, but was apparently very attached to him got very drunk, and we all spent a little time comforting her and helping her through the beginning of her sickness. I did get a chance during that time to tell Charlie that I thought he had been great this week. When they got married I was very worried, but this week I've been very relieved to know that she has someone there with her, someone who is as good a person as he is. Then I went home.
The next morning was the church service. My mom agreed to watch the baby, so she followed me over to the house and since the other Melissa was also going alone we decided to go together. We went to the funeral home first and then followed the processional to the church. A group of veteran motorcyclists were at the beginning of the processional because there were fears that there would be protestors there. And I'll have to say right now that that is the most horrible thing I have ever heard of, and maybe someday I'll be able to put that into words in a way that will do it justice. There were no protestors on that day though. And for that we will all be eternally grateful. As we drove up we saw fire trucks set up with the ladders extended with a flag hung between them. The service was good. There was no traditional eulogy. He was a writer and two of his poems as well as his reasons for enlisting were read aloud. Jenn and her husband read passages from the bible and her sister sang an Irish lullaby. It was good even though the organist broke in after the first couple words and sang louder than her and different words. While I wish she could have sung alone a little longer I think it broke some of the tension for a little while, she was able to smile while she sang and we all joined in during the parts that were on the sheet provided in the pew. Personally I did well during the service, I only teared up a few times, even when the priest was so overcome he had to take a moment. After the church service we all went outside the church where a military chaplain gave a sermon of his own. When we got back to Jenn's house, Jenn talked about how long his sermon was and mentioned how he had blown the wind to let the chaplain know that he was being long winded, and I didn't think of it then, though I noticed the wind, but I really like the thought of it. What really got me though was when they fired the 21 gun salute. With the first shot the tears began to fall. Some friends of the family played taps and a bagpiper played Amazing Grace. Then came the folding and presentation of the flag. They were so strong through it all. They were amazing. Afterwards we went back to Jenn's house. After a while Jenn went to sleep, and shortly after I decided to go home and get some sleep too. I left word for her to call me when she woke up, figuring I would go back when she woke up, but when I woke up and she hadn't called I called her and she said not to come because she would be going to sleep early. But she said she'd see me today. She said she'd call when she was up, but after lunch I called her and she said she was about to sleep again. When I called later because she hadn't called me back, and I needed to tell her I am leaving for Jacksonville tomorrow afternoon, because I wasn't sure if she knew, she was eating so I didn't talk for long. I told her I'd be back Thursday afternoon/evening. They will be going to Arlington for the service and burial there on Tuesday and she'll be back after, but she leaves to go back home Saturday, so I hope I get to see her again before she goes home. I was hoping I'd get to see her again before I left for Jacksonville. I just can't tell how she is really doing over the phone (not only can I not see her but if I call her cell phone--if she answers--it breaks up and I miss things that she says, or if I call the house phone, I can hear all the people talking behind her better than I can hear her), it's hard enough for me to decide in person. I'm not sure if she's really been sleeping as much as it seems the last two days or if she doesn't want to talk (to just me or anyone), or if she feels that me going over there is putting me out and she doesn't want to do that. To top it all off I'm starting to have some panic attacks about school and being prepared for an exam I have next week as well as getting enough done to look prepared for my other classes, so I probably couldn't tell how she was really feeling if she wore a sign telling me. But to Tab...I've been calling her several times a day the last few days, I don't know if it bothers her or them, she hasn't said, but I hope that it was quieter there today, with less interruptions, I hope she really was able to get some sleep. I don't think they are leaving tomorrow, so if you want to call while she's still at home it would probably would be better to do it then. If you do, could you let me know what you think about how she is doing?
I can't find the words to describe how strong they have been through all of this. I know that on the inside they are really torn up, but they don't show it on the outside. I think he'd be very proud of them all. I know if he had the choice he would have chosen to come home when this was all over and live his life, but I think that if he knew how the end would be he would have been proud of the way things have been done. He'd have been proud of them.
I just wish I knew what to do for them.

10 comment(s):

I called her today. she talked about the services. Talked about the ones coming up. Talked about the friend of Dennis that held him for 3 hours. I told her I hadnt called because of school and work everyday, and I felt if she needed me, I was home all day and wouldnt have to put her on hold or anything to talk. She said she had been talking to you, but felt bad because it hurts her to talk about it all the time, so, she hadnt really stayed on the phone long times. I told her I didnt want to bother her, just calling to make sure she was ok, and let her know I am here. She said she is ok, since she has talked to you and Charlie about her feelings, but she was worried about her sister. So, I dont think your bothering her, I just think she can talk about it for so long before it starts to get to her. Same with today, she talked about it until I could tell it was upsetting her, then she said she had to go. They are truely the strongest family I think I have ever met in my life. Their bond is just wonderful. And I think thats what makes them a great family.. Well... Hope I eased your mind somewhat.. Good luck on your exam.. You will do fine, you always do...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

Thank you, Tab. It is a relief to hear. Thank you so much for calling, and for letting me know.

By Blogger Malissa, at 1:19 PM  

No problem.. I told her I didnt know what to say, I was still in shock myself and I was sorry if I didnt say the right thing, that I wasnt too experienced with all of this. She said she understood, that she knows what I mean. And nobody ever knows what to say. I just really feel like I should be there to give her a hug. I feel so useless as a friend this far away. Im glad she has you. I am sure she is very glad she has you also. I just hope she knows I care about her and wish I could be there for her. So, please let her know I wish I could hug her. =) Take Care

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 PM  

I don't know if I will get to see her again, but if I do I will give her a hug for you. I know it's not the same, but I'll make sure she knows you're there for her. I know she knows that you care for her. And I wish I could find a way to know that what I'm doing is enough. I think it's a problem we are all having right now. I didn't call her today. I hope that she knows she can call me if she needs to, and I know that she is packing today to go to Arlington and I know that everything revolving around the trip is going to be painful for her, I didn't want her to have to feel like she needed to tell me what was going on when she's already dealing with the pain of knowing what is going on. I don't know what time they are flying out tomorrow, but I'll probably call her in the evening. Maybe I'll be able to take her mind off of things for a second, and I'll remind her that we are both here for her. Your not useless and you shouldn't feel that way. You've let her know that you care and that you're there to listen if she needs you, there isn't a whole lot more you could do for her if you were here, I know it doesn't seem that way, but the only real difference is the geography.

By Blogger Malissa, at 12:00 AM  

Thanks. I know I am not useless being here, but in times like this I feel that way. Today while talking to her, I tried to get her to talk about other things and get her mind off stuff, but my conversations always led to Dennis. We were talking about Alexis and Marissa's baby, and how they were and then she started talking about Dennis. Which I listened, I felt thats why she brought it up, she needed to say it, but I didnt want her to think thats all she needed to talk to me about.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 AM  

I think it's just one of those things, the thoughts are always bouncing around in there right now, she probably started out not talking about him because she didn't want to think about it, but she thought of something and had to get it out. With me she doesn't talk about him a lot, she talks about the plans they are making, the arrangments. She talked about his pictures and how they would leave the ones of him in the house up, they would never take them down, she talked about wanting him there for her wedding. But I also spent a lot of my time at her house the first few days, and she would bounce around from room to room doing other things, so we didn't have a lot of in-depth conversations, but that's not really any different than it's always been when I'm at her house while there are people there. She's always been one to jump up and down and move around from place to place. She'd come back and talk for a while and then be up and on to the next person. She showed me a binder with his poems and a couple letters in it that he wrote, and we looked at a memorial they set up in the living room for him. Maybe she feels easier talking with you about him? I don't know. I wish I could meet Alexis and I hope someday I will get to be able to. Surely there will be a day when school won't be such a big part of our lives? But I can tell you that Noella is absolutely adorable.

By Blogger Malissa, at 12:40 AM  

We should be down the beginning of July for a couple weeks, maybe we can plan a meeting then. She is rotten... Jenn has only seen her once, and thats when she was almost a year old.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:24 PM  

I would like that. Just let me know when you'll be here. Jenn will be jealous! Why are you coming down?

By Blogger Malissa, at 7:53 PM  

To visit family... I didnt make it for Christmas, so, I promised them this Summer...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

Summer is better anyway, you have an excuse to go the beach (even our poor excuse for a beach), and you get a chance at a white Christmas if you stay home and you don't have to worry about mabye using the air conditioner on Christmas. And you don't have to worry about how you're going to get all those presents here and back.

By Blogger Malissa, at 11:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.