My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The National Weather service has a location in Jacksonville. Whenever there are tornado warnings, or storm warnings they interrupt you TV show, I mean like, they blank out your screen and play that stupid tone and then give you some vague description of the storm warnings in your area, they also do something similar on the radio, again with the noise, and it's very comforting for you to hear when you are in the car and have no idea where you are. I experienced this a few times last year, but nothing ever happened. They just wanted to make sure we knew what was going on. EXCEPT that is, when there is a hurricane. I can hardly find anything on TV. And weatherchannel.com doesn't really seem to know it exists. I did find one video, from this morning or yesterday, that talked about it briefly. But I knew from my drive into school this morning that it was sitting out there stationary and the pressure had dropped. This means, for those of you who don't plan your life around hurricanes, that it's future direction is not very predictable, and it is getting stronger, and it's going to get stronger faster than they thought a few days ago. So, I've searched the Weather Channel endlessly, because, you know, it's the WEATHER CHANNEL. To no avail. No maps with a picture of the storm and those nifty storm details. Only a reference to it except the fact that it was out there at one time. At this point I'd just like to say that while Katrina was horrible and all, life does go on, and I need to be prepared too. So...finally I went to baynews 9. As in Tampa Bay. You know HUNDREDS of miles away Tampa Bay. And finally, FINALLY, I found a map with details. And do you know what. It's not just a tropical storm people. IT'S A HURRICANE NOW!!! You'd think it would be newsworthy that they storm had reached that milestone, but I guess weatherchannel.com doesn't think so. I'm not asking that the entire country be put on alert or even informed, but you know, I'd like to know about the HURRICANE sitting in my back yard. You know, the one that's unpredictable at this point. Knowledge is power people. It actually looks like it will be a few days before it causes any trouble, if any, but I need to make plans here. And other people need to know about it so they can make plans because not everyone can sit around searching for weather news. It may only be a category 1 at this point, and not anywhere near the level that Katrina was, but there's no reason for their to be no bulletins on the weather channel web site.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.