My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Monday, September 05, 2005

More on the Xavier University Pharmacy Students

I think I didn't express in my post how sad it is that, most likely, none of the Xavier University students will ever even know this opportunity existed before it's too late. The offer is being made so that these students won't loose a year of their lives, a year spent mostly waiting, with nothing to do. And I imagine, if I were in their situation, I would feel the loss of another year rather acutely. The thing is, UF is most likely not the only pharmacy college doing this. I haven't heard of any others, but I'm not in the loop that would know about any offers anyway. I do know that Universities across the country are accepting displaced students and helping them with the transition, so I assume that other pharmacy programs are doing this also. The problem lays in that Xavier University is located in New Orleans. I don't know whether it still stands, but it's computer systems appear to be off-line. There is no web-site they can check in with to see about these opportunities, and with the systems offline, they have no campus e-mail. And there is therefore no way to contact them, even if they did have access to a computer. There really is no way to get the word out. If you haven't read the previous post, there was a letter posted, that asked all students to help in contacting anyone they knew in the Xavier University College of Pharmacy, the problem is, most likely no one knows anyone that is a student there, and even if they did they would have no way of contacting them now. Like I said before I am proud that my school is offering this opportunity and I hope that it is taken advantage of. But at the same time I am saddened because I know that there are so many who might like to know about this chance, and may not learn about it until it is far too late. This is a time sensitive issue, we will be starting our third week, I'm currently behind, it would be difficult for someone who has been through so much and still has miles to go to come in now and catch up, and excel. I would be impossible for them to catch up even if a month goes by. And the problem here is that pharmacy schools only accept students in the fall, you can't start in the spring term. So if there is a student out there who learns about this next month and would have taken the opportunity if they could, it will be too late, and they will spend the next 11 months waiting, and most likely they will be waiting for the unknown, because who knows where the program at Xavier will be in 11 months?

1 comment(s):

Hey Malissa it is Heather Lamb (Monday). I noticed you left me a comment on my diary! I hope everything is good with you...I have been busy fixing up the house, unpacking, etc. You know how it goes. I am so glad that life is treating you well. I would also like to know how Lisa Harriman is, and also everybody else from band. Email me sometime.

Heather
hmondaylamb@yahoo.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.