My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

So Frances wasn't really that bad of a hurricane. The most damage was done by falling trees, and a few people lost a couple shingles. I don't ever want to deal with anything worse. But what is really interesting is the damage path. There isn't one. The entire state is covered by this. They started evacuating Miami on Thursday and on Tuesday it hit the panhandle. Driving from My home (about 60 miles due North of Tampa) to Jacksonville, I saw all the damage, for the most part it wasn't too bad. But I knew as I drove that every town I passed had probably lost power and there was a good chance they hadn't gotten it back on yet. Today in class I talked to people who had just gotten power back on this morning, and some who didn't have any power yet. People who lost phone and cable. There was not a single person with internet access for the entire weekend. Some, like me, probably didn't even know that we were having class today. It's not so easy to find out when you have no power. We were only getting one station on our emergency radio. It was out of Ocala. I had to call their info line, where a recorded message told me the Alachua county rumor line, who I called to find out that Gainesville was open. Then I called information 3 times. First to find out if my apartment was still standing, then to get the number for the Jax campus (no one was home and the message only said that class was cancelled Tuesday), and finally to get the number for the Gainesville campus to see if anyone could tell me--no answer. So from all of this I concluded that we probably would have class. So we were all there today. Stories and all, knowing that for many of us, computers were still a novelty, after being without.
And then guess what happened. Surprise! You have to do a presentation next week! This is what it's about--enjoy! Oh, and we know you missed that quiz, so you can take two in the same day. And we need to throw in an extra lecture today because the hurricane made you miss a lecture and you need it for tomorrow. But don't worry one of today's lectures was cancelled, and we'll just wait to make that up on Friday. Here's your 50 thousandth copy of the UPdated schedule! And don't forget to study for the two tests next week and the one the next week while you are preparing that presentation.

Okay, Okay, I'm going to stop complaining, I just had to get the panic out of my system. I'm taking it one thing at a time. I can't tell you how many lectures I actually have to watch still. I am caught up and only have today's to go, but I'm not sure how many that actually is--4 I think.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.