My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

So, the crick didn't actually rise, so to speak, but we did lose power. For about 49 hours. It went off Sunday afternoon about 2, and came on today, after I left for Jacksonville, just after 3. Just about everyone in the county lost power at about the same time--except Lori--but we didn't all get it back at the same time. I'm pretty sure they turned it off. But I'm very happy that the crews worked around the clock to restore it after the whole deal was over--though I would like it better if they fixed mine first the next time. And the next time may just be next week. They're predicting Ivan in the gulf, that's not so good for my house, and I'm not staying in Jax in my apartment if they think it will cross the state and end up here, I'm not so sure the structure can take hurricane force winds, and Ivan is supposed to be much stronger than this one.
Being without power is really not fun. Let me give you a picture. First, we're in Florida so it's hot--no AC, so we leave the doors and windows open--muggy. Everything is wet. All of your clothes are wet, because you always end up outside in it. You begin to treat your one dry set of clothes like they are precious. You get smelly--no power=no running water. You begin to think that taking a shower in the rain is not so bad an idea, then you actually do it. You cook everything on the grill--if you have one. Everything in your refridgerator gets warm--you must eat it or throw it away and within 12 hours it starts to drip. Then it's not just a drip. You then come to the point where you must cook and eat everything today or throw it away. But you can't really remember what is in there, and you don't want to open it long enough to look and see because you're letting the cold out. You can't even read a book, it's stormy and gets too dark by 6. This means you can't play a game either--unless it's by candlelight--how so fun. And probably worst of all is that you can't flush, unless of course, you poor water into the tank after. Tip for people who haven't done this before. We have cats--so we have cat litter--we keep the jugs that it comes in, and before the storm we filled them with water. We had like 10--and figured that would be like weeks worth of flushing water--nope. One jug=about one flush. So, since it's raining, put a trash can under one of the eves that tends to overflow. Refill the jugs with this water. Good idea--but you get pretty wet doing it--cause it's always raining.
The storm was not bad at all, in my opinion. There was never a point where I was scared of it. But the loss of power for so long was nearly unbearable. My aunt came to our house, she is crazy. And so I was worried about her while I was there. And whenever my mom left the room she made sure to whisper to herself, I'm pretty sure she did that just to make me wonder--I think she likes being crazy, so she does things to make it worse on purpose. She likes people to think she is getting decrepit. But she didn't stay for too long.
I took a shower when i got here, it feels so good to be clean again. While a nice rinse in the COLD rainwater is okay, it doesn't last long until you are gross again, you just can't wash the crude off.
At least they canelled class Friday and Tuesday, so I don't have even more lectures to watch, but I do have 3.5 to watch still so I better get on that.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.