My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Friday, July 08, 2005

So...I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I'm on vacation now. So, I won't be posting much more than I have in the last few days. Right now I'm at a Days Inn in Troy, Alabama, and if you're planning on staying here you should make different plans. We asked at the desk before we took the room if they had internet access, and were told they had dial-up but not high-speed. And while I LOVE high-speed we decided to stay. Upon entering the lobby to go up the stairs we learned that there is NO light in the stairwell. To top it all off there is a huge break in our window that has been taped up, the toilet doesn't appear to be bolted to the floor and there seems to be some severe water damage in here. If we weren't relatively mainland I would think that they gulf of Mexico had risen up in some great tidal wave to completely drown the entire two story building. It seems to be clean though, the linens look fresh and there are two microwaves and mini-fridges in here, although one set probably doesn't work. And since the beds were clean and there was the promise of connectivity I was happy. But then came the time to get on-line. I had a backup. Roadrunner if kind enough to offer remote dial up, but when dialing the number the phones here require a pause between dialing 9 to get out and the rest of the number, but the dial-up connector here doesn't seem to want to do that. So...I was left to call to the desk and ask for connection information. And I swear to God this is the conversation that took place:
Me: Hi, I was told you provide dial-up internet access and I need to get the connection information.
Girl 1: Okay, please hold.
Girl 2: Ma'am?
Me: Yes?
Girl 2: Okay all you have to do if take the cord out of the phone and plug it into your computer and then you set your computer up with a local access number.
Me: Okay...but since I'm not from around here I don't have a local access number.
Girl 2: Um...okay, ummmm, okay [mumble mumble]manager[mumble]
And the phone goes silent. So I hung up, after a couple minutes I call back and tell her I though we were disconnected and she tells me that she has to call her manager, who is...on vacation. And then she'll call me back. So that's what I'm doing right now. Waiting for a call to tell me how to get online, so I can post this.

And seriously, did you think I would bring a laptop to a hotel and NOT know how to hook the phone cord into my computer?

Other than that the day has been good. I got a pedicure with my mom this morning and we left the house at 3:30. The travel has been good so far, I took a couple pictures along the way, and I will continue to take them. I'll be posting them to flickr later.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.