My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Monday, July 04, 2005

So where does crap come from anyway?

Today, at flickr, I came across the word detritus and made a comment to my mom about it.
Mom: [as she was walking away] It would be interesting to know what that means.
Me: what?
Mom: I wonder what it means?
Me: It's like the stuff on the bottom of a river
Mom: Oh, you already looked it up? Or did you already know that?
Me: I already knew that, I went to the Marine Science Station.

My whole class went to the Marine Science Station in the 4th grade. I dno't remember much. Just that we had to put on life jackets, but not those uncool orange boat jackets, they were the jet ski kind. So it was still cool. Then we rode in a boat for a long time. And I remember at the beginning we all went into a room and they gave us a lecture. I think I only remember 2 things. Detritus and crap. They went into this big expanation about how crap was actually an acronym, and being in the 4th grade we were all in awe that it wasn't really the bad word we had all thought it was. Of course, now I know it was all crap, they were just making it up as they went along. I can't remember what the a was. But it was Carbon Rich Something Product. And I've spent some time searching for it online, but no dice. It's very upsetting to know that probably everything they said while we were there was crap.
So...if you happened to have gone to 4th grade with me and remember what they said the A was I would appreciate it if you could let me know, because it's really driving me crazy that I can't look it up.

3 comment(s):

I also just remembered that when we were on the boat they cast out a net and pulled up some stuff. It had some kind of seaweed in it that was edible and they let us try it if we wanted. It tasted like peanuts, I can't remember if I tasted it or if someone just told me.

By Blogger Malissa, at 12:42 AM  

I use detritus interchangeably with "dregs."

As in, "those people are the detritus of society."

By Blogger teahouse, at 11:59 PM  

Yeah, the word has a much more broad meaning that just the stuff at the bottom of rivers. But since I learned it in the 4th grade I tend to use it in the much more specific and narrow context.

By Blogger Malissa, at 12:29 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.