My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Camera revolution

In the late 1980s or so my mom and a friend of hers co-bought a Pentax K-1000, they took a class and they enjoyed a little photography. Then they moved on to other things. The k-1000 is a fully manual camera, and it was easier to use another camera. My senior year in highschool a couple of friends of mine realized they had both signed up and gotten a photography class. So I lied and told my guidance counselor that I thought I wanted to be a photographer when I grew up and he squeezed me into the class. It just so happens that the k-1000 is the camera most people learn photography on, and the camera that we used in my class, so I got my mom to let me use hers. I had a blast in the class, and only wish I could remember more about printing photos. Maybe someday I'll have nothing better to do with my money than buy the equiptment for a darkroom. When I was a freshman in college my house was broken into (on Valentine's Day) and the k-1000 along with a bunch of other stuff, was stolen. The insurance company cut a check for our loses (excluding the majority of jewelry and currency taken) minus the estimated cost to replace the k-1000 and it's 2 lenses. You see, pentax had just stopped producing the k-1000(which I will never understand), which made it difficult to estimate the cost of replacement. The insurance company decided it would personally replace the camera and reimburse us for the 2nd lens. I spent quite a while worried about what kind of choice they would make. In the end the worry was for naught, we received a Pentax ZX-10, which has not ever let me down. It is a fabulous camera. And we went out and bought the second lens nearly immediately. It has taken a lot of amazing pictures that I am very proud of. When I graduated college my mom got me a my first digital. A Sony cybershot, which was also an excellent camera. It even takes movies. But recently I began to want something bigger and better. I sat on it for a while. I then I researched for a while. And then I mulled it over for a while again. It was really no contest for me between it and the other cameras in its class. I have always had success with the Pentax brand and to top it off I already have a couple compatible lenses, so the only question was whether I could come up with the money for the *ist DS. I spent a lot of time moving money around in my head. Making choices to save here and not buy there. And then a couple weeks ago I went to the mall with my mom with the intention of holding one for the first time. Previously I had refused to hold it. I didn't want to want it that much until I knew whether it was possible or not. So I went to the mall with my mom and Nikky. It was decided that we were hungry so we had lunch at the Chinese place--bourbon chicken. We have a ritual when we eat our fortune cookies. And when I read mine it was already set in stone. We just weren't sure of it yet. Mine told me I would get a good deal on a major purchase. So it was off the camera store we went. And of course I bought it. After all, how could I pass up a good deal?

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.