My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

So...I finally did evacuate. I decided it was time to stop being a responsible student and start being a responsible person. So I left Jacksonville. But, nothing ever goes according to my plans. I was supposed to miss the storm completely, just a few rains or something. Of course, by the time I got here the news people were saying, "oh, oh, look at that, it looks like the storm path is just going to follow Malissa." Seriously, these people should put a camera on me, they'd win the pulitzer, or whatever news award they are going for when they stand out in the hundred mile an hour winds to do a newscast that no one can hear anyway because of all the wind. So, by the time I got here and they decided for sure that the path was really changing it was too late to do anything. So here I am again, in the path of the storm. It's not as bad as it was last night, today they eye is supposed to be going just south of us. Like Francis. So we won't get it directly, but I think they are saying we might get some hurricane force winds and the like. They waited until this morning to cancel classes tomorrow. This caused quite a bit of stress for me, because I thought I'd end up driving to Jax in a hurricane so that I could be there for my presentation. There are 7 of us in the group, 3 researchers, 3 presenters, and a handout maker. I'm the first presenter. I couldn't not show up. But finally they cancelled class. Whew! They still haven't cancelled Nikky's school yet, and the storm is going to be pretty close to there, I don't know why they are taking so long this time, well, I guess USF is always slow, but come on! I'm at the lab now (which is like next door to the house) I'm stealing (well, he said I could) the wireless internet from the business next door. He told my mom it was no problem, they would just run the cable through the wall like it used to be, but I have a wireless card, so I don't need that, the router is really ncie. Good service. I was going to watch a couple more lectures, because we all know I'm really behind. But like I said. Nothing ever goes according to plan. Blackboard is down. So I can't watch them. I knew it was down when I left to come over here, through the wind and the driving rain (kidding, it's only a little rainy and windy right now, the big stuff will be much later), but for whatever reason I did not connect that I wouldn't be able to watch the lectures when I was coming over here.
They are saying that we will probably loose power today, it's flickering in some places, and my aunt has already lost cable, but so far, so good here. It will probably go out later anyway. Well, the wind keeps picking up to a pretty good clip and then dying down, so I'm going to shut down and go back home during one of the lulls. Will post later, provided there is phone, and/or power. Depending on my mood. Class is still on for Tuesday, and they don't seem to be getting it in Jax, so I'll have to be back to the real world by then.

1 comment(s):

12:30. Still have power. It's flickering now and then. We're afraid we'll lose it completely pretty soon. It held out long enough for me to make brownies. Every time if flickers you can practically feel everyone hold there breath and will the power back on. It has worked so far.

By Blogger Malissa, at 12:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.