My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yesterday I moved to Jacksonville. It was a long trip. Well only 3 and a half hours but it was long while I was doing it, and I had never driven that route before so I wasn't quite sure I was not going to get lost most of the time. But I didn't get lost. And I found it. They didn't have my room keys ready when I got here but they said that they would be ready by today. When I got to my room the site manager was in my apartment and was going to send up the carpet cleaner to re-do my carpet because when they painted my room they oversprayed onto the edges of the carpet. I was suprised that they were so worried. But after tons of trips I got all my stuff up to the third floor and settled in. Then I read an article I needed to read for orientation and prepared for today.
Today was orientation. I was pretty scared about the traffic this morning. I was not happy about having to drive downtown during rush hour. So I freaked myself out about it but I managed not to vomit on the drive. I think that something has changed about me in the last several years. I don't remember ever getting this stressed about little things like I do now. I was really sick to my stomach driving today. I was afraid I would go the wrong way, not be able to get into the correct lane, and afraid that I would wreck my car. It was the same for coming back to my apartment this evening (in rush hour traffic again). Eventually I will get used to it and actually know which lane I should be in. By the way, I must thank my orientation leader for giving me the heads up about I95. And I am now going to make a rule. When you are building an interstate and you name it I95, there should never be only one lane for that road when there are two for a different interstate. And you should give a lot better signage if this is going to be the case. So thank you to my orientation leader for letting me know that I should hand left, that way I only had to squish into one other lane. Traffic in Jacksonville is the thing I dislike most about this city.
So enough about the traffic. Orientation was good. I feel really good about getting this started. I think it is because since it is started I can see the end of it all. In four years I will be done and able to practice. I will be able to live a regular life. I'm a little worried about how difficult the curriculum will be. But I'm really glad that I'm going to UF. It feels really good to know that I am at one of the top 10 pharm schools. They even went so far as to say today that if they were still doing the rankings that we would be in the top 3 and with our distance campuses they could argue that we would be the number 1 school. I don't know how much that is true and how much it is just trumping themselves up. But I'm happy to know that I'm going to one of the top schools in the nation. And I think that if I can just get past the driving to campus part I will really like it. I guess I shoudln't really say anything since I interviewed at Mercer, and I really would have hated driving through Atlanta even if I only had to do it when i drove home.
So, when I got back to my apartment today I went to go get my keys. Then when I walked into my apartment I noticed my carpet was a different color. And had to stop and decided that I couldn't be in the wrong apartment because my key worked. And I noticed that my bedroom door was open, my furniture was moved, and all my stuff was gone. I panicked thinking someone had stolen my stuff and changed the carpet. It was really quite jarring. But then I realised all my stuff had been moved into my bathroom so they could change the carpet. So I had to again arrange all my furniture and put everything away again. They unmade my bed and took the bedskirt off. It took me forever to get the thing on correctly.

Things I need to bring from home
Trash cans (2)
Hangers
vacuum
longer cable cord
surge protectors

Things I need to buy at a store
Trash bags
dish (washer) soap
food
clorox wipes or something like that
a USB/parallel port converter



0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.