My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Friday, August 13, 2004

So, I told you we were going to have another hurricane today right? Well, we are. So to prepare I set my alarm for 9:00 a.m. this morning, I wanted to know what was going on because if it gets bad we could get tornados, which are really bad because of the unpredictability and the damage that they do. Mom decided I should make chicken and dumplings since people would probably come over if it got bad. This morning at 6:00am our neighbors called to tell my mom we should evacuate and that they were going to be leaving. So I got up and immediately Nikky called me. I don't know why she didn't just call mom. Anyway in her slow disjointed phone speak she managed to tell me that we were going to be evacuated. I don't know what kind of social disfunction she has picked up from Brian but she is now incapable of carrying on a phone conversation without pausing for like 5 minutes before she replies to anything you say. Anyway, I told her we were outside the evacuation zone and not to worry and thought she would be coming over because last night when she brought her car over it seemed like she would be coming over this morning. But after another call to tell me that we were in fact in a mandatory evacuation zone (which we were; we are just outside the mile east of 19 line), but still she was told that we were safe and staying, but they (Brian, her, Ron (the dive shop owner) and the rest of their crack team brain trust) were going to Daytona to weather out the storm. So by 10:00, I was showered, Aunt Doris was here, and Nikky was here to drop off the cat. Then she went back to Crystal River, on the west side of 19 RIGHT ON THE WATER where she stayed until about 2:00 when it was really too late to evacuate and then they left. They are in Ocala now having dinner. They waited until too late to get all the way to Daytona especially since if they did they would end up crossing the hurricane's path. I have one message for Brian and Ron from American Pro Dive and the rest of the formerly mentioned brain trust. When there is a hurricane there are some rules to be followed. First, don't panic and especially don't try to panic people who even though they have lived in Florida their entire lives have apparently never watched the news when we had a storm, which we have EVERY year. Also, if you live west of 19 you should evacuate. You should not sit around telling people who are in a safe zone outside of the normal evacuation zones to evacuate while holding a hurricane party whose participants are only there out of fear of the sky falling. If you can't remember that I'll put it in easier terms. If you live west of 19 evacuate, if you don't then batton down the hatches and weather the damn storm. Simple.
So we've watched the news like all day. They've been talking about the trajectory of the storm, the things you should do to get ready for the storm, county by county coverage. We're under a Hurricane warning, and tornadoe warning and a flood warning. They've talked about how bad the storms here are, how bad the bands are hitting us and how much rain we are having.

So yeah, we're having a hurricane.
You can see the severe wind damage we've had. And the rain; our yard is just flooded. It's terrible here in Homosassa. I'll keep you all posted. The news is sure that we are going to experience weather more severe then we are feeling right now.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.