My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Friday, April 16, 2004

I just deleted a bunch of stuff from my sent mail--some of it was really old--Who knew that doing that would clear up so much space. I went from 98% of my quota to 35% of my quota! And I didn't even have to go through and decide which messages from my inbox I should delete. I'm a pack-rat, especially when it comes to my mail. I don't know why.

Still haven't heard from schools yet. But I did call and get some news.
Mercer: They told me when I was there that it would be about a month until we would hear for sure. I sent in the housing and financial aid stuff today, so that would be taken care of if I get in.
Florida A&M: Of course, I'm not real confident I will even be considered (given what happened last year) but I called and they said they will be sending out responces in two weeks.
UF When I called they said they are sending out responces now through the middle of next month.
Palm Beach Atlantic: When I called they asked for my social security number. I'm not sure why they needed that to know when my letter would go out, but she said that my letter would go out the second week of next month. I don't suppose anyone else knows why they would need to know who I am before they would know when they are sending my letter?

I'm driving myself crazy waiting. As always I go between being sure that I won't get in and being sure that there is no way I won't get in. Like I said I'm driving myself crazy waiting, and thinking about it. It's so frustrating to have decided that this is what I want to do--I am SURE of it, there is no question in my mind, I can see this as my future--and to know that whether I can do it or not comes down to a file and maybe an interview--an interview that will never show what kind of person and student I am, how much I want this, or how well I will do at it.

My econimics professor calls on me all the time. There is one guy in the class, who actually likes the subject and knows more than what little we learn in class. Anyway, the professor always asks him the number questions: what is the national debt?..., but when in comes to the other stuff he always calls on me. Maybe a few times in the entire semester he has called on someone else, but I'm pretty sure the other students have noticed this and pretty much tune him out. It feels like when he asks a question of the class everyone just turns toward me, waiting for him to call on me and see what I can get to come out of my mouth. Sometimes I haven't really been paying attention so I'm not completely sure of the question he has asked, and sometimes I just don't know--the subject is just not my thing.
In an effort to prevent this in the future I'm going to start logging them here. I figure if I use this to tell my stories that murphy's law will kick in and he will stop calling on me and I will therefore have no stories to tell. Make sense? Well, who really cares if you get it? I don't.
So here are a couple of my experiences thus far.
1) He of course calls on me, I don't really know the answer but it seems fairly easy so I give an answer that seems valid. "No, that's not really it." So he then is forced to call on someone else. "I agree with her." (this student clearly didn't forsee the fact that he would call on someone else after I got it wrong and didn't think to process the question because I am, of course, the designated question answerer.)
2) This question luckily was not about economics. "How many quizes have we taken...Malissa?" My answer, "I don't know."
3) This was a double wammee. "Malissa, If you went down to your bank and everyone else went down to your bank to withdraw all of their money would everyone get their money?" Me: Shakes head no. Now, you would think he would choose someone else for the next part of the question--nope. Him: "How many people would get their money?" Me: "Not very many." Him: "about 10-15%" At least this time he called my name before asking the question, so I knew that I was hearing the whole thing.
Do you think that while I was out of the room they took a vote to see who should be the question answerer and I got the job because I wasn't there to vote? I sure wish someone would have told me if that was the case. I'm not paranoid--I'm going to start counting how many people he calls on and how often. I have class tues and thurs. Stay tuned for more stories.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.