My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Friday, March 12, 2004

I suppose it's time for me to weigh in on the subject. Gay Marriages. Do I think they should be legal? Yes. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't and can find at least a few reasons why they should. I think I should probably note that I am speaking from a heterosexual standpoint. And would like to say that I am glad that fighting for the right to be married to the person I love will never be an issue for me.
Who does gay marriage harm? No one. It makes no difference to me whether I live next door to a same sex married couple. I wouldn't want to see them having sex in the front yard, but I gotta say I wouldn't want to see a heterosexual couple having sex in either.
Who does insuring the illegalization of gay marriage harm? It hurt very good people who will never be allowed to fully commit to their partners. I can't think of a worse thing than to be prevented from completely committing to the person I have chosen as my partner in life. When I finally find that one person I want to be able to commit to him in every way possible, and I wouldn't prevent someone that same privilege.
I would also like to point out that, for the most part, the only arguments you hear against same sex marriage have to do with the Bible. In this country we have a separation of church and state. A very wise decision on the part of our fore fathers. Why is it acceptable to make an amendment to the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION that is based on religious beliefs? I can understand if a Catholic priest refuses to marry a couple of the same sex, but I do NOT think it is acceptable for the government of my country to make a similar decision based on the same beliefs.
Also, considering all of the other things that are going on in this country and world wide--a good example would be the war--I am offended that the current administration would choose this as a running platform. I am offended for the entire country. They chose this topic as a smoke screen to make Americans forget about all the other issues we should be concerned about. It's as if they are saying, "Our harmful environmental policies, our lies to the public in the 'State of the Union address', the issues with Haliburton, and the war are of no concern to anyone when put up against the fact that people of the same sex are being allowed to marry." It would be a completely different thing if we didn't have all of these huge issues facing our country, if we weren't facing the deaths of many of our youths, and the alienation of the entire world. The fact is we are facing these issues and it scares me that they have chosen this platform. What scares me the most is that I am afraid a great many Americans will fall for it because all they will see is that the word of the Bible is being upheld.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.