My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

I first started "blogging" a long time ago. Back before I even knew that was what it was called. I posted a couple journal type entries to a web-site I created. The I moved over to an aol subprofile, but that didn't last long because it had so many pop-ups that it took me 10 minutes just to start my post and then while I was typing I would get interupted with pop-ups that would stop my typing and it was annoying. It's been a long time, back before pop-up blockers. Then I read an article in the newspaper about salam pax. And that is where I first heard of blogger. I opened an account and have been blogging ever since. Blogger has changed a lot since then. They've added a lot more functions and are now owned by google, which is the best search engine out there. I've had very few problems that weren't directly related to their growth. I once found that my web-site had been taken over by someone else. It turns out that it was not actually taken over, but rather missplaced...or something...I don't know. I e-mailed them and they took care of it right away. But this was before blogger was bought by google. While I love google and the functionality they have brought to blogger, I am finding those problems that everyone worries about when the big companies buy the little ones. You see, now I have another problem. I think it probably isn't that difficult, but it's also not something I can fix on my own. So when I discovered my problem. A problem not covered by the multitude of faqs. IN fact, the faqs seem to say that my problem shouldn't be a problem. I should be able to move my blog, and then reclaim my old url. And when I do move my blog a copy of the old site shouldn't remain. But I can't reclaim my old url and an old version still exists at the old url. I understand that they no longer allow certain characters in their urls, but since mine was already being used, why can't I have it back? I really think it wouldn't be difficult for someone to address...and that leads me to my problem. You see, the people at Google, they are busy. They are a huge company and I guess they just can't have enough people sitting around waiting to solve the problems of all their users. So...it's been a week since I filled out the little help me survey and then replied to their reply telling them that I had already been through the faqs and they hadn't helped me and I still haven't heard anything back from them. Nothing. So...I have no idea if or when I will ever find out how they are going to help me out here. And until then, I have a dead web-site out there that I have no control over and no ability to redirect. Blah!

2 comment(s):

Egads that stinks. I was thinking of starting over, but now I am afeared!

By Blogger *Monica, at 4:37 PM  

I think it might not have been such a problem if not for the tildas. But in case you do decide to move my advice is to leave a moving notice BEFORE you move. If it doesn't work out you can always delete it later, but that way if you end up like me at least people will know where you went.

By Blogger Malissa, at 5:18 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.