My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Monday, October 03, 2005

It's a small world after all...

Every year when we go on vacation we make it a point to stop at every Cracker Barrel we can. We plan our meals around it almost, and because there are tons of them along the interstate it's not too hard. There are two in Illinois that we regularly stop at on the way depending on timing. One in Marion, IL and one in Mt. Vernon. We never eat at Cracker Barrel except when we are on vacation. This past year Nikky got sick of it and I nearly didn't get to have French Toast!

When I was little, before I went to Daycare, I had a babysitter. The babysitter was Chris. She was Torri's Aunt. Her Uncle's wife. Later there was much drama and controversy in their lives, but while she was my babysitter, things were good for them, at least that's how I remember it. Torri and I were best friends. At least that's how I remember it. Later on someone moved or something, and Chris couldn't be my babysitter anymore. I lost touch with Torri.

The house we live in now, or rather my mother lives in now, was built about 12 years ago. We moved in when I was in the seventh grade. But mom bought the property quite a while before then. And before that we lived in a trailer next door to the property. When we moved in we learned of this weird it's a small world twist of fate. Torri lived across the street from what would one day, several years later (the thought had yet to be conceived really, I think) be our house. She lived across the street and down a couple lots from where we lived. I think I remember being shy at first, it was awkward meeting this person I couldn't really remember much of. But that was short lived and we became fast friends.

I attended Mrs. Linda's Daycare for a lot of years. And truthfully, if I had kids I would send them there. Dustin goes there now. But Debbie did a little babysitting, and she just happened to be Torri's mom, so we begged our parents, and eventually Nikky and I stopped going to Daycare and started going to Debbie's after school. She was an amazing person. And Torri was my best friend. We all had Chicken Pox together, or rather in a rolling fashion, Torri, Scott, Nikky, Nicky, and I.

Not everyone can say they have known actual carnies. But I can. Keith and Shelley traveled the country with the carnival for months at a time. They were Torri's aunt and uncle. But I think the traveling got to be too much and they decided to settle down.

As I think I've made clear, every year we pack into our car and take a trip up north. We used to only go to Illinois to see family, but now we go to Missouri as well. In the days when we only went to Illinois we would stay for about a week or so and then head back. One year Torri and Debbie came with us. Keith and Shelley lived somewhere not too far from where my family lived. The world is small. I didn't know where exactly, but it was far enough that it wasn't impossible for them to drive from where we were going to where they wanted to go. And the trip was awesome because Torri got to come.

One day the world lost one of the greatest people I knew. When Debbie passed away suddenly I think everyone was shocked. I wasn't even able to react. At some point we had built our house and I just couldn't believe that she wouldn't be just across the street. And of course, what I was feeling came nowhere near what those closest to her were feeling. I can't imagine what Torri felt. Not then and not now. But I knew she was hurting. I know she hurt for a long time, and I'm not really sure it ever got any better for her. I know she went to the Health Academy, and I know she had to take her drivers test more than once, but even though she lived right across the street we drifted apart. I just didn't know how to relate to her anymore. There was so much hurt there, and so I guess we both pulled away.

It turns out that Keith and Shelley had settled in Marion, IL. I heard through the grapevine, that after graduation Torri moved up there with them. She had a hard time dealing with her father after the death of her mother, and I think he had a hard time dealing with the loss. So the move was probably best for all. Later Chuck remarried, and had a baby. Then he moved and we've had to call the police on the new people across the street.

Every year when we go on vacation we make it a point to stop at every Cracker Barrel we can. We plan our meals around it almost, and because there are tons of them along the interstate it's not too hard. There are two in Illinois that we regularly stop at on the way depending on timing. One in Marion IL and one in Mt. Vernon. The difference between then and now is that the last few years we've wondered aloud when in Marion about whether Torri is still there.

The day after John Lennon was shot, I was born. At Clay County Hospital in Flora, IL. I suppose it was a joyous day. Usually births are. There is a new Clay County hospital now. It's our on hwy 50. We only pass it when we go to Aunt Erma Dean's. We come into town from the other direction. We get off the interstate at Salem and get on 50, we always know we're getting close when we get off the interstate. You have to wonder how big this town really is. Certainly bigger than Flora, but kids still ride their bikes unattended on the sidewalks and the store sit right on the road because the buildings were built long enough ago that they didn't consider what would happen when the road needed to be widened. I'm pretty sure everybody still knows everybody or could at least find out.

I have a site meter, so I pretty much know who reads my blog. And if they actually got to this point in the post then perhaps they are going hmmm. I wonder, how long we spent in that Cracker Barrel in Marion this year wondering if we might catch a glimpse of Torri. We never did. After my post yesterday, I know why. Torri doesn't live in Marion anymore. I know because I googled her. Google is always a helpful tool. She's also not married, or at least she doesn't use her husband's name (or at least she didn't as of August 12). I know all of this because of this article. So...I'll have to remember this next year. Or, maybe, one of y'all could mention me if you see her. Her birthday is a week from today, the 10th, so you should also wish her a Happy Birthday.

1 comment(s):

Wow, it's a small world.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.