My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Friday, June 03, 2005

We moved into the house we live in now when I was just starting the seventh grade. It's the biggest house we've ever lived in. Far bigger than what we were used to, and if you ask my mom she will tell you it was a lot bigger than any house she ever thought she would own, let alone contract to build. For her it was something she never thought she would ever do, for me it is something I'm very proud of her for doing, because I know what it meant to her, and I know how hard she worked to do it. When we moved in, my sister and I got our own rooms, since we were used to sharing a room, it was a very exciting thing for us. Sadly though, we learned how quickly we can fill up space. In no time at all it didn't seem too big anymore. We adjusted quite well. Now my room is disgracefully messy, with no space to move, and not enough space for any of the things that I keep having to move into it. Every time I move back home I have more stuff. Thank God for the free-standing additional garage in our backyard. It's been a true lifesaver, at least in the area of space. Of course over the years there have been things that my mom has said, "well, if I had known better, I would have done that differently." But overall, I think we've all been happy here. Of course, my mom will also tell that one of my biggest complaints is quite frivolous, because I think we need a bigger stove, not that I cook much, but I just don't think 4 burners are enough, and well, we just NEED another oven. But really I know that's fantasy. Tonight I have another complaint, one that I've had off and on, but we just deal with it because it is and there is nothing we can do about it. Right now if I could change one thing it would be the location of the washer and dryer. I don't think it's something anyone would ever think about until they were faced with this problem. You see, our washer and dryer are in the garage (the front one, not the back). I guess since we live in Florida we don't require an indoor laundry room since it's not going to freeze any pipes (this is my best guess). In any case, having them in the garage is problematic. This is because anyone with a garage can tell you that bugs can get in. There seems to be a snake theme in my life. Once a snake got caught in the garage door, and we didn't notice it for days, until one day someone looked up and saw the dead snake hanging there stuck in the door. Being total girls, we had to call someone to come get it down, we were told it had probably been there for quite a few days. But the real problem is the bugs. We have tons of different kinds all year round here in Florida. And they get in. So we can't really leave any clothes by the washer or dryer without expecting that a bug is probably going to be in there when we bring them in. This makes it not a very effective laundry room. And more to the focus of my problem tonight is that it can cause quite a heart problem when reaching for the detergent in preparation for the wash.
spider

So I guess the moral of the story is, if you're new to house building, don't let the builder tell you that having the washer and dryer in the garage is a good idea.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.