My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

First I have to complain. Has anyone else noticed that livejournal pages only load about half the time? It makes me really mad to sit around waiting for a page to load and then have it tell me the page can't be displayed.
Okay, onward and upwards.
I just read a friends lj post and she was talking about wanting to go camping and canoeing. I don't like either.
Now, I'm going to take Mo's advice and tell you a story from my past.
About five years ago we made it a family tradition of sorts to go to Montauk Missouri every summer. We stay in cabins--we don't camp--the cabins have electricity, and running water. They do not have television or phones. It's down in the hills, so you can't get a radio station, and cell phones don't work. We spend about 5 days there. During those five days we are pretty cut off from the world. Aside from occasional trips to town for massive amounts of food we don't get any world news. The world could practically end and we wouldn't know it until we left. I should mention that we actually do need massive amounts of food, there are a LOT of us. One of the things my immediate family and I enjoy about these trips are the food. On the way up and back down we try to stop at Cracker Barrell's to eat. But even the great Cracker Barrell food pales in comparison to Montauk food. We are talking the best sausage gravy, fried potatoes, fried fish, potato salad, cobblers, etc... in the world. Another thing we look forward to is the relaxation. It's nice to not HAVE to do anything. But when I say that I should also mention that there is a horn that blows at 6:30 every morning to tell people that it's okay to start fishing. And we do have a lot of fisher people. So while some are fishing, others are making breakfast. Normally I help out with the breakfast. I don't have much patience fishing there after fishing in the gulf (where fish practically jump on the line screaming, "Catch me!") plus in order to get a good fishing spot you have to wake up at like 5:00 and get down to the river. I think 6:30 is bad enough, and I never thought it was a good idea to stand shoulder to shoulder with strangers who are flinging hooks wildly in the air. So there is work to be done, the fish don't clean themselves, the meals don't cook themselves etc... But it's not like work, work. The days there are longer. Even though we get up at 5:00am or so, we often don't make it to bed until past midnight, and while we are tired from the hours we keep, people seldom get cranky about it. It's a really amazing phenomenon.

Well that's all for today. Maybe tomorrow I will get to the point that I thought I was going to get to today.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.