My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Lesbian Shoes
Okay, first I have to say this post is not meant to be derogatory in any way. It's just a funny story I would like to share.
So, my friend Lori is getting married. To Gene. I'm a bridesmaid. A while back Gene and Lori drove to Tampa to see Gene's grandmother who had just been released from the hospital. Lori was nervous, because while she had known Gene's parent since she was a kid she didn't really know his grandmother, and it was the first time she had seen her since they announced the wedding (if she had ever met her at all). So they go and Lori works hard to make a good impression. But...His grandmother turns out to be a not so nice in-law. The grandmother keeps insulting Lori, but Lori is probably the most angelic person I know, and would never comment on this. So the insults are flying. And I guess the grandmother got desperate because nothing really seemed to upset Lori too much. Not even the crack about her cooking. So she makes this completely insane remark about how Lori was wearing "Lesbian Shoes." Now, I know Lori, and I can tell you she isn't a lesbian, and in case the grandmother missed this key fact, Lori is marrying the grandson.
I'm sure that when Lori told me the story one of my first questions was, "what kind of shoes were you wearing?" But I immediately forgot, simply because of how silly the whole concept was. I mean what kind of shoes are lesbian shoes anyway? Do they have little labels on the toes that say "Lesbian"?
So the week after I hear this story I had to attend a conference, and of course, I left all my dress clothes at home. So I had to go to the mall and buy something, which was fine since my dress clothes need updating every now and then. The thing was, I also needed to buy shoes. But I didn't want to spend a lot of money on them, since it was kinda last minute, and I wasn't sure how much use I would get out of them.
I picked out a pair of shoes that were on sale and as I was trying them on I thought of Lori's lesbian shoes, and I started to wonder whether the shoes I had just chosen could be considered lesbian shoes. They probably could. So now they are well known as my "Lesbian shoes." And I am proud of them. And everytime I wear them I think of Lori's story. I have to say I can't imagine some old woman even speaking of lesbians. I think it's kinda funny. And I am soooo glad she won't be one of my in-laws.
P.S. I wore them today.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.