My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Elevator Conduct
In a class once we discussed social norms. For example, when in an elevator with people you don't know the norm is to stand quietly with eyes averted from other passengers until you reach your floor. Today, I met someone who decided this was not a good idea. Even before we got on the elevator the guy was talking to me. I don't know who he was, and really he didn't say much, just "Hi, how are you?" I replied automatically (as I always do to this question) "Good, how are you?" We then get on the elevator, he says, "I would be better if I didn't have all my finals today." I smile politely and avert my eyes (as social norm dictates). He then begins talking about how he will do in the class depending on what he gets on the exams. Blah, blah, blah. Finally the elevator arrives at my floor and relieved I get off.
So, the moral of the story. Don't talk to me on the elevator, and if you are going to talk to me, it had better be about something a lot more interesting than your grades. I don't care about your grades, I don't know you.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.