My Crazy Thoughts
my thoughts on various topics.

Tuesday, April 22, 2003

33620 Jobs
The average receptionist in my area makes $11/hr. ($22,393 annually). SecretaryII: $13.50 ($26,943). Data Entry Clerk II: $11.60 ($23,174). Photocopy Operator: $12.45 ($24,897). None of these jobs require a college degree. And generally only require 3 years of experience or less. So the question is: If you had a college degree and the experience would you do any of these jobs (or some combination of them) for $9.00/hr.? And what if there were no better prospects? It's a toss-up really.

All figures were obtained from Salary.com for the 33620 zip code. All hourly wages were computed assuming a forty four work week, with a two week unpaid vacation. These are base salaries; they do not include bonuses or benefits.

Also, I would like to point out that a photocopy operator makes an average of $1.45 more than a receptionist. I once asked the photo-copy guy how many staples the machine holds, he thought I was crazy, but I knew that I was going to be the one refilling the machine. I don't make $12.45/hr.

Pretty sure that the final edits I did on my thesis will be the end of it. Still no word from FAMU--I'm currently right next door to going crazy.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

© 2003-2006 Content from these pages is the sole property of the author and cannot be reproduced, reprinted or republished without written consent from the author.